Friday, June 10, 2011

I Take The Last Seat

Talk about my stuttering and stammering on the first class of my first day in sophomore year.
The task given to us by the professor was to recall a short story, novel or any literary piece from our Philippine Literature lessons in High school / Elementary.
A story, its writer and something about it.

LOADING...
and more
LOADING...

I was rummaging from every corner of my brain anything I could recall and discuss about. "Trust, trust, trust" came battling my thoughts of freaking out.
"Ang Kalupi" written by a writer  named i-forgot-who was the story that popped out of my mind when "Abegail" was finally called.

This was harder than a usual getting-to-know introduction on a first day class. The pressure was greater having the presence of "Honors Class" students around and a very intelligent professor awaiting my answer.

The next minutes were uhm, uh, uhm, uh.
Though words came out of my mouth, to me, my point was unclear. I didn't hit the bull's eye. 
My confidence was slowly being drained.

Probably, when my concern was about what I'll say and how I'll say, it made me more like a chaff blown by the wind. Whereas, thinking about something to share to encourage, enlighten and glorify my Lord could alone have made me that "tree planted by the streams of water, whose leaves does not wither, whatever it does prospers".

Oh, "Whatever you do, work heartily as working for the Lord and not for men."

Nonetheless, I sat there listening to the answers of my classmates. 

Great intonation, fluent speech, minimal speech mannerisms, sensible, critical, bull's eye thoughts - how could I not keep my mouth shut and listen?

The bad news was I dreaded the aura of competing inside the class.

The good news was our Personality Education 3 lightened up the rising tension.

We formed a circle as a group and I heard one of my classmate say something like this: (as the professor required each of us to speak)

"I don't' want a competition inside the class. If there would be any, I want it within myself."

Competition within ourselves - that would best improve us. It was a relief to hear it from her then finally each classmate of mine reaffirming it. :]

Another good news is that they desire we help "improve and surpass our strengths and weaknesses together." (as iron sharpens iron :)

My classmates are probably far abler speakers, brighter students and more skilled writers than I am.

I take the last seat. The lowest place at the wedding banquet.

It stirs inside me - the great expectancy to all the rooms of improvement I have and will still have, the lessons my Great Teacher will deal with me and the more humbling experiences emphasizing my self-bankruptcy and complete nothingness.

There will never be no growth without tension. 
And now, tension should excite and let us move at our best after all.

I take the last seat now. The lowest place at the wedding banquet today.

But shouldn't this excite me more:  I get to be with the Best English Teachers in the Future - Among Batch 2014! (I sure dream to call myself one someday, by God's grace!)  :]]


10 comments:

  1. -tap-tap-

    you can do it, Abi. believe that God believes in you and has placed in you a potential that can breakthrough mountains and oceans. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks ate joan. waa wala pa pong 1week ang class wala na akong tulog. And to think, mas challenging din ung situation mo. How's school and work ate? I mis you po.. Pero ate, super blessed ako and daming Christian samin! so nagkakaroon ng fellowship :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. ate ozzeth :))). bakit po wow? ung mga classmates ko po? hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. no. wow to you. ang galing mo magsulat. parehas kayo ni ate joan. napa wow lang ako sorry haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glory to HIM ate hehe. We all have our strengths and gifts naman po di po ba. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. amen! :) praises and glory to the one and only Gift Giver! :) kitakits sa outing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha. Welcome to Sophomore year-- umpisa ng mas maraming gising kaysa tulog. :)))))))

    Eto, adjustment ang 1st two weeks. Some days I feel like quitting work ASAP. Some days I feel like pressing on. But nonetheless, we should not be led by our emotions.. so, tuloy lang. Haha. Ang usapan naman namin ni Lord at ng parents ko, pag health ko na ang sasabit, I have to resign na talaga. Pero prayerfully, before I resign, fully paid na ko sa school at nakabili na ko ng books. Haha.

    (dito talaga nagkwento eh noh? miss you!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. TWO THUMBS UP ABIE! THIS IS SO INSPIRING! I SUPER DUPER LOVE EVERYTHING ABOUT YOUR BLOG AS MUCH AS I LOVE YOU!♥ IMISSYOU A LOT! GOOD LUCK!:D AJA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. nice... I love it Abbhie... you are indeed a great writer! galing galing... clap clap... and it's nice to know that we all (maybe almost all) have experienced the same thing during the first day... though I wasn't able to be there during the first class, I know for sure I would stammer and stutter more... hahaha... or worst... just telll our professor that I don't remember anything... hahaha...

    basta... I know that you are good! not just good... great! kaya ka nga anjan sa Honor's Class eh... though we know that it's because of God that we have the strength, God also is a just God, He knows where and where not to put us! I'm excited to spend the whole year or even the next 3 years with you (HC class).. mwah.. I am actually starting to love our class... :)

    ReplyDelete