Friday, September 23, 2011

Tada! A reaction paper in P.E. :D

Time for fun and excitement aside from our Sports and Recreation class had been, in my vocabulary, non-existent and long forgotten. The previous school days meant busyness and accomplishing piles of tasks. So this made me very excited for our PE III Outdoor Activity in Norzagaray, Bulacan last September 17, 2011, Saturday. Though I was tired that night before that day, I really woke up early in much anticipation. We were with BCEd majors inside the bus and somehow, the travel became a worthwhile experience because of their and my classmates’ energy and enthusiasm.

            When we finally arrive in Falcon Crest, we were immediately oriented about the procedures in rappelling and wall climbing. It looked so easy and effortless on the part of the facilitators who demonstrated it. But then, I was really nervous because I never experienced doing those things before and I thought I might have fear of heights. My apprehension was somehow subsided when each team showcased their yell. And when it was the Green Team’s turn (our turn), I simply wanted our cheering to come to an end, but at least, we managed to last for minutes in front! We had warm-up exercises before the activities began. Maybe it really set our bodies into “athletic conditions”.

            Rappelling was our first activity. I was delighted I somehow learned to make a makeshift harness and get geared up for this ultimate sport. Alphabetical was the order for the turns in engaging in each activity and that meant I was always third in the line. It was a blessing in disguise since I don’t wait much that could open ways to heighten my fears. The moment I was about to do the rappelling, I knew I was still afraid but it was so relieving that the activity wasn’t scary at all! It was so much fun that I wanted to repeat doing it. I really learned the importance of being “in control” of one’s pace and movement through this activity.

            Our second activity was crossing the Cargo net. It was hanging on the second floor and our face will be set on the ground while we crawl on it. I personally think that I performed least skilfully in this activity compared to my other performances. In my initial attempt to cross it, I lost balance so I was driven forward, face almost flat on the surface of the net. I heard my classmates exclaim a sigh of alarm. Yet I kept crawling in the fastest way I could. So with this 2nd activity, I learned the importance of continuing on despite faulty beginnings.

            Thirdly, we did the wall climb. I like this activity because I told myself it would be easy and when I was performing it, I stood corrected. It wasn’t that piece of cake I was expecting. As you climb higher, the pull of gravity makes it more difficult to go up. You also need to be aware of the stones you’ll be stepping on, so when you’re quite far, you’ll need to exert extra effort and strength to reach them. But the best thing about this activity is that I could really feel that in my attempts to go higher, the rope also does it part of elevating me upward. And the greatest reward is to reach the top and ring the bell.

            Our fourth activity, which was the requirement for us to be able to eat our lunch, was the pull-ups. It was a group activity so I did learn the value of team work. About 15 people had to lift the heaviest person in our class (through a rope) and will be blind folded. For us, it was Carla and she had to get an egg from the pail hanging near her and throw it to the catcher of the group who will also be her guide. In our first try, the egg fell on the ground. During our second attempt, the whole group pulling the rope guided Carla and she was then able to throw it well that our catcher caught the egg! Truly, team work works wonders!

            We ate a satisfying lunch meal and after that, we rested and at the same time bathed under the rain while waiting for the commencement of the next activities.

            Zip line was my favorite activity for the day. I so appreciated the wind, the sky, the trees and the whole sight of nature as I sped down and seemingly fly!

            The next two activities – tire swing and rope course were in my perception, the two most challenging tasks. They were much like obstacle courses and required more skills- balance, strength, endurance and agility. In both activities, I had moments of nearly falling down but I really learned to have the will to finish each activity. So when I gave my best, I succeeded and accomplished it. If we think we can --- we really can!

            In one of our Water Act activities, we had to cover the holes of a “pvc pipe” and one group mate will pour water until the 3 balls inside run out of the container. It was the most disappointing activity we have encountered because it took a very long time before we accomplished the goal of the game. So what I learned were patience and perseverance for us not to quit.

            I enjoyed the free swimming part and snack time after the strength-draining activities of the day. Though we did not win, the best part is that we learned a lot and at the same time, enjoyed while doing so. It was a great time for recreation, ‘till the next outdoor activity! :)


            

2 comments: