Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Abnormality

Yesterday occurred a morning when I didn’t need to wake up for I didn’t sleep after all. I could not call a nap that I had - a rest for I consider it mere bowing of my head over my arms and simply closing of my eyes.

                Early that morning it was both weird and uncomfortable that I found myself wearing shirt and shorts in a very formal place --- school. I literally made it my second home. But I was not alone. Mami Ericka, Sisther Esther and Debbie were amongst the 2nd year students of HC that were sleep-deprived, battling for consciousness with me.

                This was not because of school projects, assignments or reviews for exam. This was all about ACCREDITATION.

                These past few days, weeks, we were helping the faculty of the English Department in their binding, organizing of files and other paper and computer works.

                Abnormality was the setting of mostly everything.

                These are days when…

-          Formal classes were scarce, barely existing

-          I seem to not know how to study anymore

-          I had an experience of seemingly not having time to use spoon and fork. I’ve forsaken our staple food once by eating burger for brunch, snack and dinner.

-          Eating needed to be on your to-do-list lest you completely forget about hunger

-          We were “rubbing elbows” with our professors like we were colleagues aimed at a unified objective. Talking to them became more comfortable and more often.

-          We were at school mostly from 8am to 8pm.

 

Lastly, the most unusual is that we had an overnight at school, yes at Philippine Normal University.

 

                That Monday night was vivid and unforgettable.

                Other students were there, running the race with us, binding, cutting papers, typing, printing, waking themselves up, listening to instructions and doing so, running errands and sometimes trying to simply stare and hope with a magic wand, everything was done.

                There were times my eyes would close, severely lured by drowsiness. Somehow, sleep had its fleeting victory, I was a couple of minutes overtaken by the temptation to really let it take over but work, work, work was keeping me victoriously alive, alert, awake, but not as much enthusiastic.

                The professors were so driven to finish what they had to do, I look at them and I feel like their whole world revolved around their work. All eyes, all ears, all attention to the computer screen, to the file, no, there was no idle time, could they have even breathed? They were all out with their work.

                Some of them found their way to beds, sofa – the object of temptation and satisfaction for everyone.

                But you find them alive, kicking, dressed up the next morning, ready for accreditation. No trace of the hectic, stressful yesterday or should I say dawn.  They were geared up for battle.

                How would I like to spend my life working and sleeping in the faculty, very much similar to them? I wonder…

                But what felt so badly abnormal - is I was losing battle – spiritually. It’s not normal I skip my devotions = (.

                Monday, the whole day, I had no quiet time especially during our overnight at school.

                I was drained in my physical, mental, emotional, and especially spiritual realm.

                This is the one abnormality I dread the most.

                But, rejoice! God took me back in His arms last Tuesday night.

                He never fails to be faithful.

                “Dear All: Today, we saw how our hard work paid off! We succeeded and we need not wait for accreditation results. We succeeded because we did our darnest and because we all worked as a team, nothing can beat that! Tonight, we rest. Sleep tight everyone, thank you all.” -From Professor Alido, our English Department Head

                Gone will be these days of abnormality, for accreditation ends within this week.

                But I pray, gone will be this skipping of devotions as well…

                “All the paths of the Lord are steadfast love and faithfulness…” (Psalm 25:10)

                “You’re faithful to love me, protect me, pour out Your grace and mercy in every undeserving moment in my life.” Me - - to Daddy.

                Hello – Normal school days <3.

 

 

1 comment:

  1. All I could do while reading this is to SMILE. :) ILOVEYOU Abby! :)

    ReplyDelete